[lit-ideas] Strange Calls

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas@Freelists. Org" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:02:10 -0500

My wife is secretary to the chair of Anthropology at the University of
Toronto.  On a regular basis she has some very odd phone conversations.
The following two come from this morning.

First Call:

Caller: I'm calling because I've discovered some very precious stones
that are worth a million dollars, at a site in Northern Ontario.
Lori: Oh, wonderful. Um so why are you calling here?
Caller: I'm just wondering if the University would like to send out a
team to the site to find more.
Lori: Oh, Ok. Well let me give you the phone number of our Assoc. Chair,
who is also an Archaeologist.  I'm sure he'd love to chat with you about
this.
Caller: OK, thank you

Second Call:

Caller: Oh, hello, I'd like to know about the results of the dig in
Cuba.
Lori: Uh, what dig?
Caller: Well I read about it in a book.
Lori: Were any of our faculty involved? Did the team come out of U of T?
Caller: Well I don't know
Lori: Have you tried contacting the author of the book?
Caller: Well it's a very old book.  I've tried contacting the embassy
and the library, but they don't have any information.
Lori: OK, well we don't have Archaeologists who dig in Cuba , but I'll
let you talk to our Assoc. Chair, who is also an Archaeologist.
Caller: OK, that would be lovely

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON