[lit-ideas] Re: Stand Close to Me

Maturity comes from a sense of safety in childhood.  Children who don't feel
safe (are beaten, abused in any form, including and especially sexually) who
are scared all the time, cannot grow up emotionally.  They become frozen at the
time of the trauma, whatever the age.  Their bodies grow and their cognitive
ability grows, but emotionally they're stuck at the age of the trauma, even if
it's passive trauma.

That's why cultures that accept A Boy Named Sue mentality (which is most of the
world), who hit their children and don't allow them safety and appropriate
space, who spend their time brainwashing kids how lousy and inferior their
mothers are (in women-hating societies) or how lousy fathers are (women who are
hated will pass along a lot of hatred too), those children live in a world that
has no stability or safety.  Likewise children who grow up in families that
focus on hatred of races.  They're focusing on hatred, not on accepting their
kids and giving them appropriate space.

That's why they say a child's greatest gift is two parents who love *each
other*.  Not love the child, but love *each other*, because the marriage is the
soil in which children grow.

It is never ever any child's or adult's fault they're immature.  No child asks
for the circumstances in which they wind up.  The problem is *societal*
ignorance, a collective unwillingness to look at what's going on.  It's the
backbone of the reason I think illegal immigration is so counterproductive,
because these people need to look at their society and improve their society
instead of running away from it.

It also speaks to the fact that we don't have a choice of who we fall in love
with, because when we fall in love we're simply recreating the conflicts we
grew up with.  None of us realizes we have a conflict until we hit a crisis
point.  That's why crisis is good, because it shakes people out of the
doldrums.  Al Gore uses this concept in his movie on global warming when he has
the cartoon frog heating up in a beaker of water.  The frog will just sit there
until the water is hot enough that it jumps out.

So, Mike, of course it's none of my business.  I just point out generalities.
If generalities, speaking in the abstract about songs and books is so
traumatizing, what chance is there that anything will change in people's
specific lives?  It's why denial is so powerful.  I heard someone on CNN
recently talking about celebrities and why they wind up in rehab from drugs so
much.  I like the way he put it, that for addicts to give up their drugs feels
like suicide.  They need that much protection against what's inside.
Celebrities overwhelming are prone to narcissistic personality disorder, a
self-hating condition in which the mask becomes the person.  But it's not just
celebrities and addicts or celebritiy addicts, it's virtually everybody.
Virtually everybody lives lives of quiet desperation until they have to jump
out of the beaker.

The bottom line is, maturity comes out of a sense of safety in childhood, and
there is precious little safety for children out there.  It's bad enough here
in the U.S.  Just imagine what it's like for those poor kids in Iraq or
Palestine or South America with their never ending revolutions or in Africa,
that was originally ripped to shreds by Europe.  And now we want to traumatize
even more people by invading Iran.  We need to be spreading peace, not war,
helping societies improve.  Instead our mature war mongering selves only want
to beat everything into submission.

That's it.  Can't think of an ending.  I know you won't agree with a word in
this, but so be it.

BTW, a femme fatale basically hates men.  Omar hit it on the head when he said
she's seducing him.  Because?  Because she hates men, that's why.  It all goes
back to that relationship with father/mother.  Seduction is basically an act of
aggression, control, an exercise of power.  Think Mrs. Robinson.