[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:36:37 -0800

From: "Judy Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> well yes, there are a fair number of places that, though they have not
> managed fully to
> implement equal pay for women, have liberal abortion laws, laws against
> discrimination on
> the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, and age. And of
> course they are
> normally simply less "religious" than the US, though the UK is probably
> particularly
> non-Christian.

For me, it's not so much an issue of personal freedoms (these tend to be mostly
theorectical
anyway).

The important things is to feel secure to be living in a country that has an
accepted,
functional legal system, is embedded within the international legal structure,
and is moving
forward towards a global fellowship of all nations, all cultures.

The USA is clearly not in that category. As the Mirror writes, the USA is
willfully
rejecting the rest of the planet. We have a paradoxical "global isolationist";
the USA
rejects other countries yet tries to impose itself on them.

Okay, I'm actually glad the Bush White House won the election. They will wreck
themselves
utterly beyond repair and thus wipe themselves out.

The Bush White House is preparing to attack Iran. Pay attention to the news
about Iran's
nuclear reactors in the next few weeks. The Europeans are trying to work out a
conference
with Iran by late November. The UK government has flatly refused to go along
with a US
attack. And this of course is just the signals the Bushies want to hear: they
will not allow
other countries to tell the USA not to attack.

I've been reading Coll's Ghost Wars. It's the account of the Islamic guerilla
war in
Afghanistan. Basically, the USA put up the money and Pakistan implemented the
war. The USA
was generally clueless about Islamic guerillas; all they cared was that the
guerillas were
anti-USSR. Here's a bombshell: In violation of the Nonproliferation Treaty, the
USA gave
Pakistan permission to develop nuclear weapons. That's right: The USA let
Islamic
fundamentalists make nuclear bombs. They armed a bunch of people who deeply
hate the USA.

The USA is too out-of-control and reckless. Bush wants more rope, matches, and
gasoline?
Give it to him.

yrs,
andreas