[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

Sunday, November 7, 2004, 12:53:26 AM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Eac> In a message dated 11/6/2004 6:09:16 PM Central Standard Time,
Eac> judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Eac> Doesn't  this tell you the Netherlands is a free society and a democracy
and
Eac> will stand  up for its principles?

Eac> I was also thinking that the Netherlands, though free and a democracy and
Eac> standing up for its principles also has to deal with the types of people
who
Eac> will be cranky at those who try to point out problems.  (though maybe the
Eac> Islamic types cranky about the film's points were all from outside the
Netherland
Eac> and none of the Islamic element in the Netherlands is of the
fundamentalist
Eac> sort--that I do not know...)

No -- there is an Islamist tendency in the Netherlands and "the Netherlands" is
very concerned about it (the BBC online stories about Van Gogh -- see also
newsunlimited.co.uk -- give data on Muslims in the Netherlands).

Eac> I was wondering (thanks for answering my question) if there was *any place*
Eac> which did not have to be concerned with treatment towards women, religion,
Eac> etc.  on a wide-spread level...

well yes, there are a fair number of places that, though they have not managed
fully to implement equal pay for women, have liberal abortion laws, laws
against discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual
orientation, and age.  And of course they are normally simply less "religious"
than the US, though the UK is probably particularly non-Christian.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx