[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:15:02 +0000

Saturday, November 6, 2004, 11:23:35 PM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Eac> Hi, Andreas,

Eac> I'm curious.  Which countries are your friends thinking are more free  than
Eac> the USA?  Are any of them Islamic?  Are any of them women?

Eac> I'm thinking here of the Dutch slaying of the filmaker and the specific
Eac> threats to the female who scripted his film on the treatment of women in
Islam.

Holland is of course a very free and tolerant country but people there
certainly are concerned about this murder (and Pim Fortuyn's).  It's one of a
number of countries that could be said to be as free as the US has been, and
may be more free.

Eac> I'm wondering if they are in some sort of denial about what is happening
all
Eac> over the world.

"all over the world"? Have you ever been to Scandinavia/the UK/Northern Europe?

Eac> BTW:
Eac> This, in particular, struck me as I read the article from the AP about  it:

Eac> ``The jihad has come to the Netherlands and a small group
Eac> of jihadist  terrorists is attacking the principles of our
Eac> country,'' he said. ``I hope  the Netherlands will now move
Eac> beyond denial and do what is fitting in a  democracy; take
Eac> action.
Eac> ``These people don't want to change our  society, they want
Eac> to destroy it,'' he said.

Doesn't this tell you the Netherlands is a free society and a democracy and
will stand up for its principles?

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx