[lit-ideas] Re: Southeast Asian move by Silicon Valley engineers

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:58:18 +0000

Sunday, November 7, 2004, 6:36:37 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

AR> From: "Judy Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> well yes, there are a fair number of places that, though they have not
>> managed fully to
>> implement equal pay for women, have liberal abortion laws, laws against
>> discrimination on
>> the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, and age. And of
>> course they are
>> normally simply less "religious" than the US, though the UK is probably
>> particularly
>> non-Christian.

AR> For me, it's not so much an issue of personal freedoms (these
AR> tend to be mostly theorectical
AR> anyway).

AR> The important things is to feel secure to be living in a country that has
an accepted,
AR> functional legal system, is embedded within the international
AR> legal structure, and is moving
AR> forward towards a global fellowship of all nations, all cultures.

I agree. And I would say that while we have fewer freedoms than you in theory,
substantively, currently, we have more.

AR> trying to work out a conference
AR> with Iran by late November. The UK government has flatly refused to go
along with a US
AR> attack. And this of course is just the signals the Bushies
AR> want to hear: they will not allow
AR> other countries to tell the USA not to attack.

This is something of a no-win for the UK!

AR> I've been reading Coll's Ghost Wars. It's the account of the Islamic
guerilla war in
AR> Afghanistan. Basically, the USA put up the money and Pakistan implemented
the war. The USA
AR> was generally clueless about Islamic guerillas; all they
AR> cared was that the guerillas were
AR> anti-USSR.

I read that too (not that book) - many people in Afghanistan knew better, of
course: they wanted the Soviet puppet regime to fall, but they feared for the
future.

AR> The USA is too out-of-control and reckless.

our military are deeply concerned about US military tactics in Iraq.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx