[lit-ideas] Some Farsi Couplets of Khusrau

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

Naala-e zanjeer-e Majnun arghanoon-e aashiqanast
Zauq-e aan andaza-e gosh-e ulul-albaab neest

The creaking of the chain of Majnun is the orchestra
of the lovers,
To appreciate its music is quite beyond the ears of
the wise.

Gar jamaal-e yaar nabuad baa khayalash hum khusham,
Khaana-e darvesh ra sham¡¯ee ba az mehtaab neest.

If I cannot see her, at least I can think of her, and
so be happy;
To light the beggar¡¯s hut no candle is better than
moonlight.

Dilam dar aashiqui aawareh shud aawareh tar baada,
Tanam az bedilee beechareh shud beechareh tar baada.

My heart is a wanderer in love, may it ever remain so.

My life¡¯s been rendered miserable in love,
may it grow more and more miserable.

Gar khalq jahaan zinda bajaanand wa lekin,
Mun zinda-e ishqam ki shaheed-e gham-e yaaram.

People think they are alive because they have soul in
them,
But I am alive because I have love in myself,
And I¡¯m a martyr due to the beloved¡¯s affliction,
(for, to a lover, nothing is dearer than
the affliction brought forth by the beloved).

Zabaan-e yaar-e mun Turkie, wa mun Turkie nami daanum,

Che khush boodi agar boodi zabaanash dar dahanay mun.

My beloved speaks Turkish, and Turkish I do not know;
How I wish if her tongue would have been in my mouth.

Peeri-o-shaahid parasti naakhush ast,
Khusrova taaki pareshaani hunooz.

Old age and lovemaking do not go together;
But O Khusrau, you still remain a proof against this
reasoning.

Agar firdaus bar roo-e zameen ast,
Hameen ast-o hameen ast-o hameen ast.

If there is a paradise on earth,
It is this, it is this, it is this (India).

Tu shabana mi numaai be barkay boodi imshab,
Ke hunooz chashm-e mastat asar-e khumar daarad.

You look sleepless, in whose embrace did you pass the
night;
Your intoxicated eye has still the signs of tipsiness.

Ba khak darat rau ast maara,
Gar surmah bechashm dar neaayad.

The dust of your doorstep is just the right thing to
apply,
If Surmah (kohl powder) does not show its beauty in
the eye!

Ze shab bedaariye mun taa seher chashmash kujaa
daanad?
Ki O shab taa seher kaaray bajuz khuftan nami daanad.

How can her eyes reflect any sympathy
With my night-long wakefulness?
For she herself knows of nothing
In the night, except sleeping.

Mun tu shudam tu mun shudi,mun tun shudam tu jaan
shudi
Taakas na guyad baad azeen, mun deegaram tu deegari

I have become you, and you me,
I am the body, you soul;
So that no one can say hereafter,
That you are are someone, and me someone else.

http://mail.yahoo.com