[lit-ideas] Re: So, you think teachers have problems

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:08:11 -0400

Phil: The better the economic
conditions, the more confidence people have.

Then there's this comprehensive study of the effects of diversity which describes how it destroys trust.

[extract of]
E Pluribus Unum: Diversity and Community in the Twenty-first Century The 2006 Johan Skytte Prize Lecture

By Robert D. Putnam

So far I have limited my presentation to evidence regarding social trust, and it is true that the most impressive and substantial patterns we have so far discovered involve trust of various sorts, including even trust of shop clerks. However, a wide array of other measures of social capital and civic engagement are also *negatively* correlated with ethnic diversity.16 In areas of greater diversity, our respondents demonstrate:

Lower confidence in local government, local leaders and the local news media.17
Lower political efficacy – that is, confidence in their own influence.18
Lower frequency of registering to vote, but more interest and knowledge about politics and more participation in protest marches and social reform groups.19
Less expectation that others will cooperate to solve dilemmas of collective action (e.g., voluntary conservation to ease a water or energy shortage).20
      Less likelihood of working on a community project.21
      Lower likelihood of giving to charity or volunteering.22
      Fewer close friends and confidants.23
      Less happiness and lower perceived quality of life.24
More time spent watching television and more agreement that ‘television is my most important form of entertainment’.25

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9477.2007.00176.x/full