[lit-ideas] Re: Singing Down the Plumbing

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 06:36:24 EDT

I haven't thought of "Reds" in years.  I only remember loving  it.  I should
give it another look. Bet it's available on e-bay  <g>.

Julie Kruegr

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Singing Down the
Plumbing  Date: 5/5/06 9:24:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I read it the first time when I was 14.  I thought  it was the best book
that I ever read.  I read it again at 16 and loved  it just as much.  Then I
saw the movie that same year at 16 and I hated  it, I thought it horrible.
Clark Gable is *not* Rhett Butler, and Vivian  Leigh is *not* Scarlett
O'Hara.  The movie isn't even a shadow of the  book, as I remember it
anyway.  I don't know what reaction I'd have  today if I read it.  I think
it's pretty historically accurate.

When I saw the movie Reds, it was Gone With the Wind all over  again.  I
loved it.  It touched me like no other.  I vowed  never to see it again
because I don't want to wonder what I saw in it the  first time.  But, it's
been long enough that maybe I can watch it  again.  Unfortunately, Netflix
doesn't have it.  Maybe the library  has it.