[lit-ideas] Re: Simon's World

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 18:42:02 -0700

Simon,

You ask if it surprises me that Europeans are averse to war.  I would say
that it doesn't surprise me that Europeans are all screwed up.  I'm not sure
what they're averse to at the present time.  I don't think any of you
properly understand the attraction Isolationism has for us.  We spent the
first part of our history after independence in trying to keep you guys away
from us.  But the time came when you asked for our help.  We didn't want to
give it. Wilson promised not to do it.  You Europeans were always getting
yourselves into wars of one kind and another, but that had nothing to do
with us.  But then you Europeans began messing with our shipping and Wilson
caved in; so we went to Europe to fight the Kaiser.  You wanted us to spread
our troops among your French & British troops, but Pershing knew better than
that.  We had no confidence in your ability to fight; so Pershing kept our
troops together and defeated the Germans.  [see The Myth of the Great War,
how the Germans won the battles and how the Americans saved the allie4s, a
new military history of World War 1, 2001 by John Mosier.]

I'm not sure how many have this inclination toward Isolationism, and I'm not
sure how I came by it.  I have just always had it.  Oh I can accept the
effects of a reasonable argument.  I can be persuaded by evidence . . .
still, isolationism has a strong pull.  If they would just leave us alone. .
.  My ancestors were not recent arrivals.  I have an ancestor who fought in
the war of 1812.  I have encountered this inclination all my life: let's
leave them alone.  Let them kill themselves it has nothing to do with us.

But you got yourselves another war.  Hitler became more powerful and started
taking things over.  You needed our help again.  Baloney, we said.  Help
yourselves.  You thought we might feel guilty about not helping you sooner.
Forget that.  We didn't want to help you at all.  That is, our people and
congress didn't.  Roosevelt was more farsighted I suppose, and figured out
ways around the laws that would never fly today: lend lease.  What nonsense.
We were giving you the supplies you needed to keep going.  But we weren't
any more ready to get in your war with you than we were in your first world
war.

Our isolationism, our disinclination to fight, our giving peace a chance
nonsense made the Japanese think they could whip us and so they attacked us
in 1941.  Hitler then declared war upon us and we were in it.  Japan wasn't
just our business.  Japan wouldn't have risked attacking us had Germany not
supported them.  Churchill wanted us to take care of the Japanese so he
could leave his navy in Europe.  We were ill prepared for war but we had the
most powerful economy in the world and ramped up in a hurry.

Roosevelt was warned about Germany getting atomic weapons and so starting
the Manhattan project in 1939.  As I said, he was forward thinking, but most
people didn't know about it.  Roosevelt's vice president, Truman, didn't
know about it until Roosevelt died and someone told him.  After World War II
we had a tiger by the tale.  We wanted to go back to being isolationists,
but Leftists gave the secret of how to build atomic weapons to the Soviets
so we entered a cold war.  Had the Leftists not given away our secrets,
Uncle Joe wouldn't have been so threatening and we could have gone back to
our isolation.  In wanting to help Communism, the Leftists did Communism the
greatest disservice imaginable.  They made us afraid of Communism.  We
couldn't withdraw or the aggressive Soviets would take over the world, and
we were the only ones in a position to stop them.  Europeans accepted it as
a given that we would stick with them and protect them.  We started the
Marshal Plan.  We formed NATO.  France wouldn't join.  Big deal.

After 40 years of being protected by the U.S, and after the fall of the
USSR, Europe returned to its petulant ways.  France wanted the EU to counter
the U.S.  Counter?  Counter What?  Counter the protective umbrella we had
held over Europe for 41 years?  Disgusting!  Lots of us knew it wasn't worth
while protecting them.  Why protect someone who is going to slit your throat
the first chance he gets.  We should have listened to Washington when he
said don't get entangled in foreign wars.

But wait, we know the Europeans will just screw things up as they always
have, someone says.

So what?  Let them.

But wait, the Islamists will use WMDs on their European cities.  Yeah,
probably, but they want to try their crackbrained pacifism on them.

It isn't up to us to protect them any longer.

But they'll screw things up and we'll have to bail them out once again.

Yeah, probably.

That isn't fair.

Who told dealing with Europeans was fair?

Lawrence

  _____