[lit-ideas] "Sentence" As A Value-Oriented Word

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:49:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/2009 9:24:20 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx writes:
In G.E.M Anscombe's  English (remark 108): "We see what we call
'sentence' and 'language'  has not the formal unity that I imagined,
but is a family of  structures more or less related to one another.--

--- Interesting post and thoughts. The thing about the diatom went over my
head, though. Please feel free to re-explain.

Reading the 'sentence' thing up, I thought of ... Grice. In "Life and
Opinions of Paul Grice", Paul Grice writes of 'sentence' -- and I was surprised

by this -- as a 'value-oriented word', like 'cabbage', he writes, and
'king'.

My friend Tapper was flabbergasted. "What has a cabbage to do with things?"
 He asked publicly. I told him Grice was relying on Lewis Carroll.

But for the 'sentence' he is relying on a paradigm book for Grice's
'playgroup': Chomsky's "Syntactic Structures" -- the snow ball that started the

avalanche.

So, I wouldn't know what Witters is meaning by 'sentence'.

"Ouch" can be a sentence, and so can "Rain!", etc. -- I'm in a  real hurry
as I write this, so forgive.

But _sentence_ is a value-oriented word. There are no good or bad
sentences. "Sentence" itself _presupposes_ 'good sentence', in the sense of
well-formed. An ill-formed formula is not a formula. "well-formed" is the most
otiose thing philosophers will say!

I wouldn't put on the same mixed bag 'sentence' and 'language' as Witters
seems to be doing, and the labyrinth thing, while poetic, is rhetorical for
philosophical purposes. And rhetoric is well when coming from Grice _only_
--  just joking.

My love for sentences connects with Zipf. I cannot understand embedded
sentences alla Zipf. There is a limit for me of 3 embeddings. Geary can do
four:

 The cat killed the rat
The dog that killed the rat died
The mother than nursed the dog that killed the rat died is good
The father of the mother of the dog that killed the rat died is good is not
 good.

Etc.

See Zipfs for details -- or write to Geary: he is _busy_.

I love Henninge too, and he once wrote wonderfully about Brie cheese and
Implicatura. I treasure and cherrish that. He knows a lot, and so does a man
who  does not want to be named, whose heart breaks at the sound of good
German  music.

Cheers,

JL Speranza
    Buenos Aires, Argentina