[lit-ideas] Re: Second Life?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:23:43 -0500 (EST)

What's reality?  What do people in the "real world" talk about?  Isn't discussion about politics and religion, the two things that make the world go round, strictly forbidden in the "real world"?  Would you dare talk to your friends and relatives about politics and religion?  All (not most, all) of my friends and relatives don't get past the latest best sellers or television shows or their children's accomplishments or children's problems.  I don't read best sellers, I don't watch television, I have nothing to say about their children and their obsessions about their children.  Are you interested in these "reality" conversations?  Is conversation about the weather more real than virtual conversations about politics?  Is Christmas reality?  Is clueless consumerism reality?

I got an email from a friend recently about an aircraft carrier, symbol of America, telling me to pass it along as a show of supporting our troops over there.  Imagine talking to her about the complexities of the situation with Iran?  It's bad enough on this list.  Regarding literature, none of my (very mainstream, mostly educated) friends know anything about it.  It's just as well since my own interest in literature is now mostly a relic of the 20th century.  What's left?  I'll talk about nutrition but nobody cares about nutrition, and they think I'm showing off anyway, which I'm not, I'm just telling them what I know, so I don't do that anymore.  I was talking (sort of) to someone who recently came down with cancer and was successfully treated for it surgically and with chemo about the cancer/nutrition connection and it was almost stunning how little she knew.  I didn't say anything, just sent her some links.

Imagine talking in the "real world" about beauty being relative or God hating everybody?  I shudder to think of it.  So, maybe reality needs to be defined before meaningful comments on it can be made?