[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:32:08 -0700

I don't, of course, know what you've been looking at but I'm reminded of the last time I was at, now where on earth was it, the Tate Modern I believe, and there was a corner with three or four Kandinsky paintings, only one of which I had seen reproduced. My thought was, "There's no way he can get away with that. You can't put that colour beside that colour and have them co-exist." Not only did they co- exist; they were wonderful. (The spelling of course clinches it. If I was spelling my thoughts in English, we must have been in England, right?) Why did he get my attention in this way? Well because I've pushed color. I'm not a draftsperson; that's about all I do.

I can imagine the painting you're describing--if it actually exists-- but I haven't seen it.

Astonishment is indeed the goal of surprise.  Also the end.

I like the sound of the first line, but I don't know what it means. Cloth swaddles. Ah, I'm remembering a painting when the cloth seemed to attack a village.

Kandinsky had this thing about flying. No doubt the art historians have said stuff on the subject.

Enough.  So, to bed.  Thank you for writing.

David Ritchie,
heading towards being unresponsive in
Portland, Oregon