[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:06:48 -0800

while i wait for the dishes to be done--
i cooked,
mussels in wine sauce, followed by sausages, if you must know--
i'm trying to recall paris

how distant it now seems

what i most want to recount is the moment when we passed the ministry
of milk
or at least an edifice
that caused me to ask the taxi driver if some cows
grazed
maybe on a permitted form of euro turf
moving from room to room
carefully--you know cows--
avoiding desks of those who properly and with taste
furnish
reports

a hundred head euro herd populating the second and upper floors--
if you've seen the size of some french elevators you'll appreciate the joke--
escaped from butter mountain
eluding interpol
running from sadness and the red wine lake

all this is hard to say in french
so i was proud
that it got
done