[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:25:38 -0700

    Tough Choice, From A Field Guide to Seashore Life

    You=B9ll maybe remember a Guinness competition,
    the winner won a pub?
    Well I=B9ve been thinking,
    what I=B9d name it if I did.
   =20
    My own ideal pub is perched on a cliff,
    a good windy walk away from life,
    so I=B9d be thinking something wet or whistley,
    something with a sense of sea,
    something slithery even,
    like whisky
    or a whelk.
   =20
    How well real tidal dwellers' names sound.
    Open a field guide and try the sculpins :
    grunt, rosylip, tidepool, saddleback, mosshead and fluffy,
    a full Beatrix Potter litter of fish
    waiting for their own heart-warming tale.
   =20
    Deeper into the guide, I imagine the following,
    swinging on a sign behind the wind:
    The Rough-Mantled Doris
    The Boring Sponge
    The Fingered Limpit
    The Tinted Wentletrap
   =20
    I consider,
    The Dusky Tegula
    The Gumboot Chiton
    The Emarginate Dogwinkle
    The Black Prickleback
   =20
    I flirt with,
    The Nail Brush
    The Bent-Nosed Macoma
    The Hairy Mopalia
    The Opalescent Nudibranch
   =20
    Then I try,
    The Tucked Lirularia
    The Blenny Eel
    The Sea Pork
    Vosnesenty=B9s Isopod
   =20
    Finally it comes down to,
    =B3Nuttall=B9s Cockle=B2 or =B3The Dire Welk.=B2
    Would anyone, I wonder, walk a way to a welk?
    Even if I made mussels?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon