[lit-ideas] SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:14:57 -0500

JUST AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SCAT

So there I was crying like a ten year old all because
I wanted my lover and never could I have her,
alas and alack, wasn't that just my luck
to fall in love with a quacking duck,
well, the last I saw her she was quacking
at some squirrels in the park. I watched her until dark
then she crossed her eyes at me and called me a cab.
"I ain't no cab," I said, but it was too late, the wind
which did not like all that laughter
got its back up and told the Skipper,
yes, the one what sailed the HMSS King Edward VII,
He ordered me brought before him.
"What means this," he asked,
"skeep-beep de bop-bop beep bop bo-dope skeetle-at-de-op-de-day?"
I thought it odd that he should ride a horse aboard a ship,
but nonetheless I was suddenly hip:
It means there's no making sense. Just go with the sound.
Call a way, Calloway, I'll ride your rhythms down
to the end of the town where all lovers drown
when the passion plays itself out.

Mike Geary
Memphis