[lit-ideas] Re: SOS or Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 07:50:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But when Paul writes, "this guy is going to give us
> the
> necessary and sufficient conditions of the 'modern
> identity" I think
> that he's flat wrong. I take Taylor to be a careful
> writer who chooses
> particular terms deliberately and see Taylor
> sketching a prototype
> that illustrates "various facets" of selves that
> exemplify the modern
> condition but does not amount to a classical
> definition in terms of
> necessary and sufficient conditions.
> --

*Let me ask an ignorant question. Why is Taylor
talking about "modern self" ? I can think of two
possible implications, although there are probably
more:

1) The "self" is a uniquely modern idea or product.

2) There is something about "modern self" that is
unique and distinct from pre-modern (or un-modern ?)
selves.

I don't see how either implication would be
sustainable without some fairly precise definition.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com