[lit-ideas] Re: SOS - Poeitic Power

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:12:02 -0400

I'm not sure that talking about one's self is necessarily being in touch with
one's self.  If that were the case, Woody Allen wouldn't be a neurotic, but he
is.  Likewise the confessional poets.  It's being in touch with the emotions
that is the true self, and few people are.   Regarding the alcohol, I suspect
that writers drink for the same reason anybody drinks, which is to numb out
(feeling no pain is the expression).  One can argue that alcohol was
fashionable at the time of Fitzgerald and the others, and being so addicting,
the writers didn't stand a chance against it.  On the other hand, they all had
issues, for lack of a better word.  Surprisingly, Abraham Lincoln had
tremendous, horrendous issues, and he didn't drink.  He also wrote poetry.
I've never read any of his poetry.  He also allowed himself to be assassinated
after he felt his work was complete, i.e., keeping the Union together, not so
different from drinking one's self to death.

From: Andy Amago

What does greater understanding of ourselves mean, and which poet particularly
has it?  Which writer for that matter?  John Berryman, Ernest Hemingway, F.S.
Fitzgerald?  T.S. Eliot?  Byron