[lit-ideas] Re: Russian?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 18:38:25 -0330

Just to be clear. What I take to be transcendental here is the "fact" that rules
are social conventions which have their force and significance through agents'
accordance with and recognition of them in social, purposive  interaction. They
are as such learned, and necessarily so.

A T'l argument to that effect would have to begin with our actual capacity for
speaking and learning a language, and reconstruct the apriori conditions
necessary for the possibility of all that. Such an argument, I contend, would
not be "historical" in the sense of being historically relative. If
successful/correct, the argument would identify necessary and universal
conditions of a practice wherever that practice is practiced, and even if that
practice were no longer practiced. The historical and cultural origins of a
practice, being empirical matters, are irrelevant in T'l argument. I.e. that a
German identified correctly a couple of apriori conditions of moral judgement,
doesn't make autonomy a German phenomenon. And, while laws of nature are not
T'l, the laws of gravity (properly circumscribed) are not British.

Walter O
MUN

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/30/258376009/how-language-seems-to-shape-ones-view-of-the-world?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Sapir%E2%80%93Whorf_hypothesis.html