[lit-ideas] Re: Russia & chess

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:25:22 -0400

Being intellectually, morally, physically, and artistically embarrassed by Mikhail and Volodya, I can only attempt a response to question number two.

          2)  are pawn shops evil?

Not if they meet these conditions:

* also sell rooks, knights, bishops, queens, kings, and chess boards;
* offer a wide selection of Staunton design pieces;
* are not a "front" for an evil organization, like a malefic costume shop or Starbucks; * have not been cursed or excommunicated by any ecclesiological toffs, wizards, thaumaturgists, or muckety-mucks;
* do not display "Star Wars" or "Star Trek" chess sets in their windows;
* offer at least a small assortment of chess books, such as Alekhine's _My Best Games_ or the latest MCO.

Otherwise, yes, they are evil, determinedly so, and deserve to be extirpated from our civil life.

Yours in shakhmatny,
Eric

PS: There's a great chess shop in the Village near NYU. Astoundingly expensive prices but a good selection. Everywhere else I've traveled, the only chess sets for sale are hollow plastic trash from China.

PPS: A better metaphor for geopolitics would be a battle between hyena, buzzards, and leopards over the carcass of an unlucky water buffalo.