[lit-ideas] Re: Returned Thing

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:36:22 -0700

I can imagine how it happened.  There would have been a Meeting.
"How can we get the kids to engage? I mean it can be a bit of a 'horse to water' situation, can't it... at the Tate Modern... ?"
"What if we provided them with pencils and a pad?"

So it came to pass that my daughter and I were enjoying a room in the Tate Modern which was devoted to the abstract and quite formless works of Gerhard Richter when into our peace there came a small horde of wee huns in school uniforms, led by someone who was very clear on, and consequently in, her instructions.
"Now children, whose art is this?"
Some wander over to read a label.
"Gurr hard Rich tur, miss."
"Very good. Now what I want you to do is to take out your pencils and your pads and to draw these paintings."
They look at her, baffled.
"Now, miss?"
We looked at her, baffled.
"Yes, of course, now."
The children, first one and then another, staring intently at each others' efforts, glancing at one another's faces, ducking the paintings, obediently began to scribble.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon