[lit-ideas] Re: Religion & Public Reason

On 8/11/2010 2:05 PM, Phil Enns wrote:
It seems to me obvious that a law banning the
wearing of the niqab is directed at religious beliefs.

Consider my previous post, which expresses the view that the niqab is not a token of mainstream religious belief among Muslims, but an emblem of Wahabbi propaganda.

Phil is indeed producing a very coherent and thoughtful argument, based on fairness. Yet it is hard to create a non-Muslim thought experiment with which to test this fairness principle. Here's an attempt.

If radical Aryan Nation-related religious cults required women to dress in armored bomb-disposal suits, there would certainly be an argument in favor of banning that practice in certain social settings. Would that be "illiberal"?