  From: Lawrence Helm
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:11 PM
  Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Religion

  Lawrence is mistaken re violent Muslim Islamists.  Though they exist and are
a menace, the way you take over is with the high birth rate, as in Israel soon
to happen and on the way in France.

  Well . . . yeah . . . I read Bat Yeor, who first drew attention to the "high
birth rate" idea.  I also read Oriana Fallaci who wrote passionately on the
Islamic take over with a high birth rate.

  Then I read the more scholarly, and perhaps a wee bit more persuasive,
Olivier Roy who argues that once immigrant Muslims become integrated, or
assimilated, or used to their new surroundings, their child production drops
until it is the same as the ambient birth rate.

  So I don't know.  Olivier Roy does have some statistics and evidence, but
whether the future will match the past remains to be seen.   In any case, young
Muslims blowing things up or shooting their coworkers is more attention-getting
and adrenaline producing then a lot of Muslim women having babies, don't you
think?

  Lawrence