[lit-ideas] Re: Religion

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 08:51:48 +0000 (GMT)

> So what ought we to call them?
> Christian jihadists?  Or?

quite.

> Regarding the Ft. Hood massacre, the culprit repeatedly
> asked superiors to release him from having to treat soldiers
> who have killed Muslims.  They did not do so.  So
> is anyone else responsible  besides the shooter?

I do think there was some negligence there, but of course it's easy to say that
with hindsight.  Thornton is from that point of view a different case.

> In any case, very sad and none of this is all that
> clear.  The The motivation of Thornton certainly
> isn't.

No.  It isn't.

Though there is racism in the US, there seems
> to be a steady stream of immigrants from Africa anyway.

I hadn't realised the number had grown so greatly since the mid-Eighties. I
read that unfortunately, they are often unaware of  the extent to which they
will be subject to the same stereotyping as African Americans are and also not
be accepted by some African Americans. But why they come is clear, European
countries to which they would, traditionally, have come have tightened their
immigration laws. And the situation in Africa is desperate, often, as the
actions of the Africans (who would never be accepted if they applied for entry)
who die in the attempt to get by sea to Europe show.

 it would be good to add that he knew they had
> the tape showing the theft.  Day in and day out people
> commit crime

I can't make this one out at all, I assume we will learn more.

Judy Evans, Cardiff