[lit-ideas] Re: Refudiate

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 23:14:28 EDT

In a message dated 8/8/2010 12:00:44 A.M., rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

Then there are 're-refudiate,' (as well as 'unrefudiate'),  'refudiatry,'
'refudiatory, 'refudiatism,' 'antirefudiatism,' 'medifutiate'  (what
philosophers do), 'prerefudiate,' and other words as yet unheard in  Oxford.

----

Well, I learned about this via the web. I actually corresponded, and
online, too, with J. S., re: 'implicature', who finally made it -- thanks to
yours truly, I'm happy to say -- if sort of unintentionally -- to the  OED3.

So here's pasting from the OUP link:

_http://blog.oup.com/2010/07/refudiate/_
(http://blog.oup.com/2010/07/refudiate/)

Curious if refudiate had legs beyond _Urban Dictionary_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=refudiate) , I asked Jesse
Sheidlower, Editor
at Large  (North America) of the _Oxford English  Dictionary_
(http://oed.com/) , if there were any plans to include the word blend in the
OED.  “As with
any word,” Sheidlower said, “we always pay attention to what’s out  there,
and when something becomes common enough, we will consider adding it to
the dictionary. However, it would take more than a few uses, even high-profile
 ones, in order to get such a word into the OED.”
So maybe we won’t see it listed along with truthiness and  bootylicious
anytime soon, but could refudiate join the ranks  of _unfriend_
(http://blog.oup.com/2009/11/unfriend/) , _hypermiling_
(http://blog.oup.com/2008/11/hypermiling/) , and _locavore_
(http://blog.oup.com/2007/11/locavore/)  as  the
2010 _Oxford Word of the Year_
(http://blog.oup.com/index.php?s="oxford+word+of+the+year";) ?

--- end of quote.

Speranza
Bordighera

Palin's paradox:

"Refudiate refudiate". Analysis by JLS alla Grice:

"Many have come to the attack of Palin's portmanteau: "refudiate
refudiate", they have uttered, breaching the well-known Peirceain type-token
distinction. As Palin would note, "you cannot 'refudiate' refudiate, really".
Instead, you gotta, as she says, celebrate.

("Also Shakespeare coined words every now and then.")