[lit-ideas] Quasiness

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 04:29:51 -0500

I have marveled at the odd and crazy money lately -- the trillion dollar
notes, the way the economists talk about money we never had as though it
were real and  missing, etc.  Well, here's a new one (for me, at least) -- I
was looking up a country on the CIA Factbook page -- you know, where they
give all sorts of stats re. the country -- economy, history, mortality
rates, literacy, etc. In the economics section I discovered this odd couplet
--

Stock of money:
 [image:
order]<https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2210.html>
[image:
Comparison to the rest of the
world]<https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2210rank.html>
$117.8 billion (31 December 2007)
Someone please explain to me ...  what is "quasi-money"??!?!!

Julie Krueger
mystified & wondering what else "quasi" is out there that I don't know
about...