[lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 12:48:57 -0700

Did I understand John's note correctly?  I took him to be saying he refused
duty and entered some sort of conscientious objector status.  Perhaps I
misunderstood.  If so I apologize.

In my own case I tried to enlist in the Marine Corps at age 16, perhaps in
June or July of 1951.  But they found my birth certificate and told me to
come back when I was 17; which I did, enlisting on July 3, 1952.  I went
through boot camp at MCRD, Combat and Advance Combat training at Camp
Pendleton.  After that training they sent me to El Toro which wasn't why I
joined the Marine Corps.  I volunteered to go to Korea and was substituted
for someone who didn't wish to go.  I was there for the last two battle
seasons.  I captured a Korean breaking into our base & was shot at a time or
two - friendly fire, sort of, but I never experienced actual combat.

After I got back from Korea I was a Rifle Instructor at Camp Pendleton.  I
was on active duty for a total of three years, entering college at age 20
while on inactive status.  I received my honorable discharge in 1960.

There is a sense in which one doesn't forget being a Marine.  It is hard to
explain.  There is a saying "once a Marine always a Marine."  There's
another Marine living down at the end of my street.  He was in the Corps
before I was and went through the Frozen Chosen experience.  He is a quiet
fellow but he has steady eyes and watches what goes on up and down the
street while he's outside working on his yard.  I know what he's thinking.
You don't forget that training.  A Marine is supposed to be "always
prepared."  We think about potential problems - not looking for trouble but
if it happens wanting to be ready for it.  I can't recall his name.  He
tends his yard much as Simon must tend his, but I suspect he has different
thoughts while doing it.

Lawrence

Former Sgt, USMC