[lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 14:16:59 -0400

Omar: Oh give me a break with your American machismo. I've had enough of your and Eric's bragging about weapons and military. I doubt that either of the two of you has had an honest fight in your whole lives.

If you really have to fight, no fights are honest. Most real fights end up on the ground and get dirtier and dirtier.

So if you’re trained to “fight” with Dojo rules like no biting, no eye-poking, no groin kicks, no nerve strikes, etc., you have a problem. When bullies, crackheads, gangs, rapists, thieves, or even al-Qaeda hijackers attack, they don’t play by karate school rules. Their only rule is, “No rules!”

Looking forward to our new lasers,
Eric

___

http://www.globeandmail.com/RTGAM_Archive/images/20021111/gtlaser/laserArmy.jpg

Weapons that travel far faster than the proverbial speeding bullet are as little as five years from use in combat, say defense officials who used a laser to shoot an artillery shell out of the sky this week.

In a first-of-its-kind feat, the Army used a high-energy laser built by TRW Inc. to heat the shell, fired from a howitzer at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, and cause it to explode in flight. The test was successfully repeated a second time.

The shell, moving at about 1,000 miles per hour, was tracked by radar and heat-sensing infrared sensors, then locked onto and zapped by the laser beam travelling at light speed.

The so-called Mobile Tactical High-Energy Laser is a short-range weapon being co-developed with Israel, which wants it to destroy Katyusha rockets fired at its border villages by Hezbollah guerillas in Lebanon.

The chemically powered weapon, which looks like a searchlight, is one of a handful of laser devices the Pentagon is working on under the umbrella of missile defense.