[lit-ideas] Re: Press Right for Yin

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:45:53 -0700

Yesterday I finally got my primary computer up and running. The fifty dollar cast-off from my college is still our link with the internet world, but for the coming two weeks' intense work on my novel, I needed something that has a working output of some sort, and at least the appearance of solidity. Why have we limped along in such a fragile state? I would rather waste time on almost anything in the world than waste time trying to figure out why a computer is being so stupid. Case in point: yesterday I plugged the new mouse into the computer and found that sometimes I could drag files where I wanted them but at other times the computer would give me a stupid menu.

"I don't want the stupid menu," I yelled, with my usual coyness. "I just want to get on with my work."

It turns out that the new mouse has two sides to it. Nowhere on the packaging or on the sheet of paper that came with it was written, "Warning, if you press the left side, it'll do Yang thing. Press right for Yin."
My wife came home and said her mice have always done this. No so Mac mice, and surely they're the originals?

Meanwhile, news this week that in the fall I get to eat all the best swill with the Lord Mayor of London, whichever one who isn't Ken Livingstone. I have no understanding at all of how there come to be two Lord Mayors of London, but the one with all the regalia wants me and my Dad to be at the bottom table in October, probably somewhere in the vicinity of the apsidistra and the Gents. I've considered wearing my kilt and full Charlie, but I don't think that's a London thing.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon