[lit-ideas] Re: Possible reason why

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:38:12 -0400

...are drivers ... not driving at the moment still drivers?

______

If you mean the golf club most often used on tees, yes. If you mean the
skilled operator of cars, no.

There's a difference between self-identification (I am a skilled driver
and identify myself as a driver) and identification of a person by an
ongoing act they are performing (the people now passing my car at 85 mph
are drivers). Was trying to highlight that distinction.

I have a driver's license. When I'm using my bicycle, I am a biker. When
walking, a pedestrian. When walking to a movie, still a pedestrian ...
only more so.