[lit-ideas] Re: Possible reason why

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:38:05 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sep 14, 2004 9:00 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Possible reason why

In a message dated 9/14/2004 7:22:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Nic  Robertson (reporter) of CNN said on News Hour that it's in al Qaeda's
interests to have this guy reelected.  I wonder  why.

A.A.  Good article.  Just for the record, though, I was being facetious when I
said I wonder why.   I think the last line of this analysis says it all:
"al-Qaeda has accomplished more of its goals than the US has of its."  The U.S.
has not achieved its goals because it didn't set any goals, except for its
obsession with Iraq.  U.S. politics is basically a popularity contest.  Gore
was by far the superior leader and lost because, literally, people didn't like
him.  Bush is ahead now despite his horrendous mismanagement of the country
because people do like him.  In light of Bush's support of only the haves and
have mores in this country, this truly says something about people.

Andy

Hi,

I would suspect that this rather frightening analysis of  what has happened
these past couple of years might explain why it would be  so...

Comments, anyone?

My thoughts are that no matter how I felt  in regards to the
US entering Iraq in the first place, there is still an  incredible tension in
regards to how we have handled the war over there and what  we are going to
do to make it better(even I could have gauged the reaction of  people in
regards to the abuse in the prison--and how no one in the leadership  end of
the
current administration has taken any real responsibility. Or  how...well, no
matter.)

I just believe it all points to the High Need for  some major creative
thought as the only hope towards finding an 'out of the box'  solution...or the
USA
is really going to find itself in an even greater and more  major problemic
situation in a few years...and as I want Ben and other children  to grow up
dancing and singing in this world (as much as possible) and the  grown-ups have
an
obligation to assist in creating such a platform--well, with  all the
creativity that I see around me in so many arenas of life--where is it  in this
arena?

Americans are, typically, creative, find-the-trap-door,  caring for the Other
type of people--what is happening and where are those sorts  now?

And, yes, it is also hard for me to comprehend the lengths people will go
for an ideology and completely close their eyes to what *is* and not what they
want it to be.

Best regards,
Marlena

Juan Cole is Professor of History at the  University of Michigan

Saturday, September 11, 2004

September  11 and Its Aftermath

<http://juancole.com/>

In order to  evaluate the aftermath of September 11, we first must understand
that event.  What did al-Qaeda intend to achieve? Only if we understand that
can we gauge  their success or failure.

From the point of view of al-Qaeda, the Muslim  world can and should be
united into a single country. They believe that it once  had this political
unity,
under the early caliphs. Even as late as the outbreak  of World War I, the
Ottoman state ruled much of the Middle East, and the Ottoman  sultans had begun
making claims to be caliphs (Muslim popes) from about 1880. In  the below map,
blue indicates heavy Muslim populations, green means medium, and  yellow means
the Muslims are a significant minority.

From  al-Qaeda's point of view, the political unity of the Muslim world was
deliberately destroyed by a one-two punch. First, Western colonial powers
invaded Muslim lands and detached them from the Ottoman Empire or other Muslim
states. They ruled them brutally as colonies, reducing the people to little
more  than slaves serving the economic and political interests of the British,
French,  Russians, etc. France invaded Algeria in 1830. Great Britain took
Egypt
in 1882  and Iraq in 1917. Russia took the Emirate of Bukhara and other
Central Asian  territories in the 1860s and forward.

Second, they formed these colonies  into Western-style nation-states, often
small and weak ones, so that the  divisive effects of the colonial conquests
have lasted. (Look at the British  Empire and its imposition on much of the
Muslim world, e.g.:)

The  Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was not an unprecedented event from the
point of  view of Bin Laden and his followers. Far from it. It was only the
latest in a  long series of Western predations in Muslim lands. The British had
conquered  Palestine, Jordan and Iraq, and had unilaterally opened Palestine to
Jewish  immigration, with the colonized Palestinians unable to object. The
Russians had  taken the Caucasus and Chechnya in the early nineteenth century,
and had so  brutally repressed the Muslims under their rule that they probably
killed  hundreds of thousands and expelled even more to the Ottoman Empire
(now  Turkey).

From al-Qaeda's point of view, the Soviet attempt to absorb  Afghanistan was
the beginning of the end of the colonial venture. They  demonstrated that even
a superpower can be forced to withdraw from a Muslim land  if sufficient
guerrilla pressure is put on it.

Bin Laden sees the Muslim  world as continually invaded, divided and weakened
by outside forces. Among  these is the Americans in Saudi Arabia and the
Israelis in geographical  Palestine. He repeatedly complained about the
occupation
of the three holy  cities, i.e., Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem.

For al-Qaeda to succeed, it  must overthrow the individual nation-states in
the Middle East, most of them  colonial creations, and unite them into a
single, pan-Islamic state. But Ayman  al-Zawahiri's organization, al-Jihad
al-Islami, had tried very hard to overthrow  the Egyptian state, and was always
checked. Al-Zawahiri thought it was because  of US backing for Egypt.

They believed that the US also keeps Israel  dominant in the Levant, and
backs Saudi Arabia's royal  family.

Al-Zawahiri then hit upon the idea of attacking the "far enemy"  first. That
is, since the United States was propping up the governments of  Egypt, Israel,
Jordan, Saudi Arabia, etc., all of which al-Qaeda wanted to  overthrow so as
to meld them into a single, Islamic super-state, then it would  hit the United
States first.

The attack on the World Trade Center was  exactly analogous to Pearl Harbor.
The Japanese generals had to neutralize the  US fleet so that they could sweep
into Southeast Asia and appropriate Indonesian  petroleum. The US was going
to cut off imperial Japan from petroleum, and  without fuel the Japanese could
not maintain their empire in China and Korea. So  they pushed the US out of
the way and took an alternative source of petroleum  away from the Dutch (which
then ruled what later became  Indonesia).

Likewise, al-Qaeda was attempting to push the United States  out of the
Middle East so that Egypt, Jordan, Israel and Saudi Arabia would  become more
vulnerable to overthrow, lacking a superpower patron. Secondarily,  the attack
was
conceived as revenge on the United States and American Jews for  supporting
Israel and the severe oppression of the Palestinians. Bin Laden  wanted to move
the timing of the operation up to spring of 2001 so as to  "punish" the
Israelis for their actions against the Palestinians in the second  Intifadah.
Khalid
Shaikh Muhammad was mainly driven in planning the attack by  his rage at
Israel over the Palestinian issue. Another goal is to destroy the US  economy,
so
weakening it that it cannot prevent the emergence of the Islamic  superpower.

Al-Qaeda wanted to build enthusiasm for the Islamic  superstate among the
Muslim populace, to convince ordinary Muslims that the US  could be defeated
and
they did not have to accept the small, largely secular,  and powerless Middle
Eastern states erected in the wake of colonialism. Jordan's  population, e.g.
is 5.6 million. Tunisia, a former French colony, is 10 million,  less than
Michigan. Most Muslims have been convinced of the naturalness of the
nation-state model and are proud of their new nations, however small and weak.
Bin Laden
had to do a big demonstration project to convince them that another  model is
possible.

Bin Laden hoped the US would timidly withdraw from the  Middle East. But he
appears to have been aware that an aggressive US response to  9/11 was entirely
possible. In that case, he had a Plan B: al-Qaeda hoped to  draw the US into
a debilitating guerrilla war in Afghanistan and do to the US  military what
they had earlier done to the Soviets. Al-Zawahiri's recent message  shows that
he still has faith in that strategy.

The US cleverly outfoxed  al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, using air power and local
Afghan allies (the Northern  Alliance) to destroy the Taliban without many
American boots on the  ground.

Ironically, however, the Bush administration then went on to  invade Iraq for
no good reason, where Americans faced the kind of wearing  guerrilla war they
had avoided in Afghanistan.

Al-Qaeda has succeeded in  several of its main goals. It had been trying to
convince Muslims that the  United States wanted to invade Muslim lands,
humiliate Muslim men, and rape  Muslim women. Most Muslims found this charge
hard to
accept. The Bush  administration's Iraq invasion, along with the Abu Ghuraib
prison torture  scandal, was perceived by many Muslims to validate Bin Laden's
wisdom and  foresightedness.

After the Iraq War, Bin Laden is more popular than  George W. Bush even in a
significantly secular Muslim country such as Turkey.  This is a bizarre
finding, a weird turn of events. Turks didn't start out with  such an attitude.
It
grew up in reaction against US policies.

It remains  to be seen whether the US will be forced out of Iraq the way it
was forced out  of Iran in 1979. If so, as al-Zawahiri says, that will be a
huge victory. A  recent opinion poll did find that over 80 percent of Iraqis
want
an Islamic  state. If Iraq goes Islamist, that will be the biggest victory
the movement has  had since the rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan. An Islamist
Iraq might well be  able ultimately to form a joint state with Syria, starting
the process of the  formation of the Islamic superstate of which Bin Laden
dreams.

If the  Muslim world can find a way to combine the sophisticated
intellectuals and  engineers of Damascus and Cairo with the oil wealth of the
Persian
Gulf, it  could well emerge as a 21st century superpower.

Bin Laden's dream of a  united Muslim state under a revived caliphate may
well be impossible to  accomplish. But with the secular Baath gone, it could be
one step closer to  reality. If you add to the equation the generalized hatred
for US policies (both  against the Palestinians and in Iraq) among Muslims,
that is a major step  forward for al-Qaeda. In Saudi Arabia, al-Qaeda has
emerged as a dissident  political party. Before it had just been a small group
of
Bin Laden's personal  acolytes in Afghanistan and a handful of other countries.

Although the  United States and its Pakistani ally have captured significant
numbers of  al-Qaeda operatives in Afghanistan and Pakistan, a whole new
generation of angry  young Muslim men has been produced. Al-Qaeda has moved
from
being a concrete  cell-based terrorist organization to being an ideal and a
model, for small local  groups in Casablanca, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia
and
elsewhere.

The  US is not winning the war on terror. Al-Qaeda also has by no means won.

But across a whole range of objectives, al-Qaeda has accomplished more  of
its goals than the US has of its.

posted by Juan @ 9/11/2004 06:01:49  AM