[lit-ideas] Re: Pons Asinorum

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:02:55 -0700

Karle Trogge wrote

I would be very interested in hearing from Mr Speranza an explication of this famous proof, which seems to have been left out of my education!

In German, the term ESELSBRÜCKE seems not to share this curious etymology (which makes no reference whatsoever to a bridge). And the term 'Pons Asinorum' as I have learned it is applied in Euclidean geometry at some other point than this proof of the shortness of straight lines joining points (but as that seems to be strangely lacking in my education, perhaps this was left out as well). Could Mr Speranza please show us the sources for this interesting account?

'Pons asinorum,' literally 'bridge of asses' was scholarly cant for the fifth proposition of the first book of Euclid's Elements. It was so called because inept students ('dumb asses') had difficulty understanding its proof, i.e., getting across it. It's been generalized to mean any intellectual difficulty which separates the inept from the ept.

See: http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/propI5.html

Robert Paul
Mutton College