[lit-ideas] Re: Political Schadenfreude

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 15:28:24 EST

In a message dated 3/4/2009 2:44:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1158970/BNP-shot-uses-POLISH-Spitfire
-anti-immigration-campaign.html_
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1158970/BNP-shot-uses-POLISH-Spitfire-anti-immigration-campaign.html)

Thank you, Judy. Very good article.

I enjoyed:

"The 2009 election campaign poster features  a spitfire
    plane and represents the Battle of Britain. ‘It doesn’t
    matter if it’s a Polish squadron plane at all  [...]'"

---- Of course part of the schadenfreude derives from the anti-Polish
current campaign.

I also found it of  interest:

"The campaign  has already seen the threat of
         legal action from Dame  Vera Lynn over
         their use of her  [recording of the American] song
         'White Cliffs of  Dover' on a BNP album of
         Second World War  songs."

----- I hope S. Ward does birds, because everyone knows that bluebird is
_not_ an English channel species!

As an effect, I cannot sing that song seriously anymore. But then I'm not
meant to. My favourite rendition must be from "Hope and Glory", when they are
having picnic at the beach, and Sarah Miles and all that, and they play it in
the background."

            Eb   Eb     Gm

         "There'll be blue birds  ovaa
                 Ab          Bb/Ab   Gm           C7 ....

         The  whiiite     cliffs ov Dowuuuva!

bluebird: Sialia mexicana

As a tribute to the Polish spitters I've translated the stanza to Polish. I
took the poetic liberty to make bidrogami rhyme with the toponym, though:

               Tam będzie granatowymi bidrogami

               nad białymi urwiskami Dover

----

I'm unamused that the only thing Brits know the River Plate for ("The  Battle
of Britain") does not feature the Argentines at all...

REPORT.

REPORTER. General Geary, did you know about the Sialia mexicana?
GEARY.       The what?
REPORTER. It's a Mexican bird.
GEARY.       So.
REPORTER. Is it legal?
GEARY.       Legal what?
REPORTER. Kansas.
GEARY.       What you're talking about?
REPORTER. Is it legal for "Dorothy" to say that 'over the rainbow' sialia
mexicana fly. Is that an encouragement of legal immigration?
GEARY.       Symbols are symbols. The  bluebird is no more a Mexican bird
than my mother is Hungarian.
REPORTER. And where's the funny line?

My favourite Polish immigrant in London _has_ to be Weinthorp. He does say
authorities found it hard to pronounce and changed it to "Winthrop" (_My Crazy
Life_). He became a fixture at the Palladium portraying a hobo who slept in
streets, under the arches of a Victoria station.

Cheers,

JL
  Buenos Aires, Argentina

steps!