[lit-ideas] Re: Physics and Philosophy

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:15:21 EST

You're starting to sound a lot like Doris  Lessing -- both a  frightening and
hopeful thought.

Julie Krueger
(oh, and add Tom Wait's King of the World to that mixture)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Physics and
Philosophy  Date: 2/7/2007 11:12:42 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If I were king of the world, I'd make education  compulsory and free through
grade 22.  I'd model all elementary and  high schools after Summerhill (for
those who remember) except those for  special students who for neurological
or psychological reasons need more  rigid structures (what, 10 percent at
most?), all schools would have a  maximum enrollment of 200.  There would be
no grades, just evaluations  from teachers whose main job would be to know
the students and structure  their individual lessons according to their
needs.  I would abolish all  athletic programs, but provide a plentitude of
footballs and baseballs and  basketballs for the students' own devising.  All
students would be  compelled to go to college, even the retards (as we used
to call  them).  College would continue without grades, just evaluations by
professors whose purpose was to teach, not publish, not produce research,
just follow their students closely and evaluate their educational needs.
There would only be 5 subjects studied over the first four years:
philosophy, literature, math, music and art.  Philosophy would be  taught as
the history of ideas, literature would be taught purely as  language play --
any teacher caught teaching content in a literature  course would be shot in
front of his students -- math would be taught as a  way of experiencing
existence, music and art would be from an appreciation  and DIY approach.
Colleges would be limited to an enrollment of 1000  students.  No one would
know what an athletic department is or what a  fraternity was for.  After 4
years of learning what it means to be a  human being, then all students, even
those wanting to be philosophers and  writers and musicians and artists would
have to go through a two year  apprenticeship program in any manual trade
they chose -- I'd choose air  conditioning!  All students would have to learn
how to use their hands  as well as their brains.  Once they've passed their
apprenticeship --  first graded course -- they would then be free of
compulsory education but  still have 4 more years of free education to pursue
any career they chose in  graduate school -- even business.  After that, they
could get married  and have children or just go fishing.

Aren't you glad I'm not  king.

Mike Geary
Memphis