[lit-ideas] Re: Physics and Philosophy

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:10:06 -0600

If I were king of the world, I'd make education compulsory and free through grade 22. I'd model all elementary and high schools after Summerhill (for those who remember) except those for special students who for neurological or psychological reasons need more rigid structures (what, 10 percent at most?), all schools would have a maximum enrollment of 200. There would be no grades, just evaluations from teachers whose main job would be to know the students and structure their individual lessons according to their needs. I would abolish all athletic programs, but provide a plentitude of footballs and baseballs and basketballs for the students' own devising. All students would be compelled to go to college, even the retards (as we used to call them). College would continue without grades, just evaluations by professors whose purpose was to teach, not publish, not produce research, just follow their students closely and evaluate their educational needs. There would only be 5 subjects studied over the first four years: philosophy, literature, math, music and art. Philosophy would be taught as the history of ideas, literature would be taught purely as language play -- any teacher caught teaching content in a literature course would be shot in front of his students -- math would be taught as a way of experiencing existence, music and art would be from an appreciation and DIY approach. Colleges would be limited to an enrollment of 1000 students. No one would know what an athletic department is or what a fraternity was for. After 4 years of learning what it means to be a human being, then all students, even those wanting to be philosophers and writers and musicians and artists would have to go through a two year apprenticeship program in any manual trade they chose -- I'd choose air conditioning! All students would have to learn how to use their hands as well as their brains. Once they've passed their apprenticeship -- first graded course -- they would then be free of compulsory education but still have 4 more years of free education to pursue any career they chose in graduate school -- even business. After that, they could get married and have children or just go fishing.

Aren't you glad I'm not king.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>