[lit-ideas] Re: Physics and Philosophy

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:51:02 -0800

The students want to study Business. I've heard it's 30-40% of students now. What do they think they are going to do with such a degree?

We deal with many companies. It never fails to astonish me how many companies have little idea about business. I work with VP Sales, VP Marketing, or CEOs. It's only a few that understand their basic numbers: lifetime value (LTV), breakeven point, cost-per-acquisition (CPA), cost-per-lead (CPL), and so on, and especially how to tie these all together into a mathematical formula.

I'm not talking about local shops. These are large corps. Many of you use their products or services. I was talkiing with the VP of Marketing of a well-known national brand. I asked her for these numbers. She kinda smiled apologetically and said "well, we've never really figured out how to calculate those." I said so how do you run the business? She said "oh, we just sell as much as possible." Sure, that works.

Business degrees? That'll only qualify those graduates to be jr managers. But if you want to run a company, there's only one way to learn this: a degree in smarts from Mutton College. That includes physics and philosophy.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com