[lit-ideas] Re: Physics, Philosophy, Turkey, Urban Myth

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:18:39 EST

<So much of a shibboleth  has
this become that I am beset on all sides when I try to ask for  a
piece that is fresh from the oven and hot.>>
I have a different  problem/approach.  When I call people to the table it is
inevitabely at  least 20 minutes of coaxing and herding and gathering before
everyone is  seated.  By the the turkey is tepid at best.  And then of course
I'm  running back and forth to the kitchen and by the time I'm able to actually
eat,  the turkey tastes like it had been in the frig for a fairly good while.
 I  counter this to the best of my ability by calling everyone 20 minutes
before the  turkey (and roasts) are ready, leaving them in the oven (turned
off,
but w/  residual heat) until the last moment.  That way at least my first bite
is  sort of warm.
Now, it will be a stretch to relate  this to philosophy or literature, but
since we're talking sardines, pizza,  turkey, I just absolutely have to share
something so weird-sounding but so  delicious and wonderful that it would be
wrong to keep it to myself.  (Btw,  does anyone else have an absolute passion
for
guava paste?  It's wonderful  w/ cream cheese on a cracker, but I keep
looking for other ways to use  it.)
Julie Krueger
suddenly hungry
_http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/sundaysuppers/nov_turkey.html_
(http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/sundaysuppers/nov_turkey.html)
<<The Ultimate Turkey Sandwich
from _Lynne's  Sunday Suppers_
(http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/sundaysuppers/index.html) ,
November 2000
Makes 1 Sandwich and multiplies easily
Cranberry sauce and cream cheese could change your life. Or at least your
sandwiches. They made this one of the best turkey sandwiches I've ever had. I
discovered it at a little general store restaurant in Story, Wyoming, a village
 at the base of the Big Horn Mountains. It's now our Thanksgiving Sunday
tradition.
2 slices good tasting, firm white bread
2 to 3 tablespoons cream cheese  (not low fat), at room temperature

1 whole scallion, thin sliced (optional)

2 to 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce (whatever you have in the house is  fine)

A generous amount of thin-sliced turkey (light or dark meat is your  call)

Dark, grainy mustard (we use Gulden's)

1 leaf of lettuce

Mayonnaise
Spread 1 slice of bread with the cream cheese. Sprinkle with scallions, then
spread with the cranberry sauce. Top with turkey. Spread a generous film of
mustard over the turkey. Top with the lettuce. Then spread a thin film of
mayonnaise over the second slice of bread. Put the sandwich together. Cut in
half or quarters, and enjoy.>>

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Physics,
Philosophy, Turkey, Urban Myth  Date: 11/22/05 11:53:34 PM Central Standard
Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Some people on this list cook; others pride  themselves on their
sardines and vegan pizzas.  None need be  excluded from the debate
that follows.  Here is the issue.   Those of us who eat meat on
Thanksgiving will put a turkey in the oven  and, one way or another--
here factionism enters in--cook it.  I am not  concerned here with
whether you cover the thing with aluminum foil,  start with breasts
down, stick the corpse on a beer can, douse the  beast in brine.
These are the schisms of kitchen  belief.

What bothers me is an American appetite for cold food.  I  have come
to live with the potluck supper, an euphemism for "let's  eat
everything cold."  And  I know that Thanksgiving is  supposed to be a
Puritan festival--and how better to feel Puritan than  by eating food
that ought to be hot, cold?--but I have reached my  limit of patience
with daft advice in the newspaper.  Today's  Oregonian has a
Thanksgiving Turkey expert explaining, "You don't take  [the turkey
from the oven] to the table.  You *hide* it.  I  hide it in the
garage.  Now you put the side dishes in the  oven.  Then I call
everyone to the table for the first  course.  All you're doing is
buying time while the turkey  rests--half an hour or 45 minutes, if
you play it right."

Our  garage temperature is currently about thirty two degrees (normal
scale, not foreign).  Forty five minutes in this temperature  would
give you what?  Near-frozen turkey.

Americans will  tell you that a roast beast continues to cook after
you take it out of  the oven and thus, like a clockwork toy that needs
time to unwind, you  must let it "rest."  So much of a shibboleth has
this become that  I am beset on all sides when I try to ask for a
piece that is fresh  from the oven and hot.

My questions to you are: where did this notion of  a well-rested dead
beast come from?  What does it mean concerning  the American Way of
Death?  Why don't some like it  hot?

David Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon