[lit-ideas] Re: Physics? Biology? How about field geology?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:22:41 -0000

JL: " ...and so is a rear admiral who's buried at St. Mary, in Walkhampton -- life beautifully recounted by our very own S. Ward."

Blimey. JL's being doing research.

For the record, Admiral Harris, now buried in the grave yard outside St Mary's Church Walkhampton, was in charge of a fleet patrolling the waters off South Africa. He, along with a young upstart, used naval guns, transported across land, to relieve the siege of Ladysmith. Subsequently, the episode was celebrated in the 'Field Gun Runs'.

I wrote an article on the subject as a favour for an acquantance who was organising a History Day at the church. The piece was used in the local Parish newsletter - The Burrator Beacon - and also sent off to local rags as part of a PR campaign I co-ordinated. The day raised around £700 in aid restoration work planned for the west end tower of the church.

A very enjoyable enterprise.

Simon