[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical Investigations online - amplification re PI

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 05:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

The issue of whether computers "grasp" the game of chess is rather complicated.
They do "grasp" the rules, if that is what is meant, but there is a lot more to
the game. Until fairly recently, chess computers worked mostly by "brute force"
tactical calculation of moves and had next to no grasp of strategy. However, in
the recent years, human grandmasters became part of the programming teams, and
this resulted in modern programs developing / being tuned into a better
understanding of strategy.

O.K.