[lit-ideas] Re: Peters on Integration

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:08:06 -0700

Thanks for the article.  I'm reminded of something I read in Dana Priest's
The Mission.  After some congressional hearing, some undersecretary advised
Zinni to be more nuanced.  "Nuanced?" he replied.  "I'm a Marine."

You can tell Peters isn't worried about what any boss or editor might think
of what he writes.  I'm not very far into his book and I spilled coffee on
it while reading your article; so I've got to let it dry. :-(

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be worried that Europe will remain pacific
while it is being taken over by Islam, e.g., Oriana Fallaci and Bat Yeor.
There are many "official" decisions made by European leaders that imply
Europe is soft on Islam, but the common people are not going along with
these decisions.  This was Bawer's experience in Holland, for example.
Also, I may have mentioned Claire Berlinkski's bizarre and somewhat poetic
descriptions of reactive undercurrents in France and Germany.  She used Jose
Bove as a symbol for France and the rock group Rammstein as a symbol for
Germany.  Both Bove & Rammstein are epitomes of violence.  At the time she
wrote Menace in Europe she hadn't seen this violence against Muslims, but
her chapters on France and Germany hint that it is in the offing.  Peters
wrote his book earlier than Berlinski wrote hers.  Perhaps they were looking
in different places.

Lawrence

  _____