[lit-ideas] Re: Peculiar formatting

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:22:50 +0100

Re:

> I think you're trying to send posts in HTML instead of plain text, and
> that the server is set to send plain text only. So umlauts don't come
> through, and the =3D20 end-of-line marker does. (Michael Chase's posts
> have the same problem.)
>
> This is an experiment using rich text to format the post. My mail
> program won't let me use HTML. (It is Apple's Mail program, latest
> version.) It's not a matter of the Mac, because my last post came
> through clean.
>
> So freelists will accept only basic ascii, and apparently any attempt
> to go beyond ascii kicks in other formatting horrors. So it has to be
> Hoelderin and kuessen.

Thanks, Harold, for your 'trouble-shooting'.  I'll try to keep to =20
'plain vanilla' ascii  (I'm also using Apple's Mail program, version=20
1.3.2).  I've got it set to 'plain text' as my preference.  (Yes Judy,=20=

I did originally have an umlaut in my 'Hoelderlin'.)

Let's see what happens =85.

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany