[lit-ideas] Re: Paying the bills

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:38:23 -0700

On Aug 14, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

oh, yeah? i've lived in Silicon Valley. from 1995 to 2000, we saw an incredible boom. in mid-2000, SV crashed. did it just "blow over"? several hundred thousand people lost their jobs. several thousand companies went bankrupt.

it happened. none of that Japanese "plus ca change" stuff. it really happened.

and now we're in a boom again. lots of activity going on.

and yes, it'll crash again. SV has rather violent business cycles.

You've known me long enough to know that I rarely challenge people. My post was not aimed at an "oh yeah"? I know boom and bust cycles from Darien onward--those of you who don't know about Darien have some fun reading in store. Yes indeed the tech bust happened, but the "Japanese are going to suck our blood" crash of, what was it '89 maybe, didn't.

This one I hope will blow over simply because I have lived in many bad economies and I want none of it. Come back Greenspan, stand behind the curtain one more time.

David Ritchie
grateful for a two percent raise after ten years with his nose to the grindstone