[lit-ideas] Panic Attack Rant with Crickets

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:07:24 -0400

Simon: ...lack of knowledge is only 'bad' in its relation to cricket.

While I won't dispute that cricket has more complexity than baseball, or seems to anyway, such being my ignorance of team sports, I think the name is a definite turn-off.

In the depths of childhood, I first learned that there was a game called "cricket." It was a horrible burden for a young imagination without any visual reference. I imagined lissome, chirping, hopping insects with long antennae, muscular hind legs, and wings--engaging in some sort of frolic with serious pith-helmeted men. The leather-skinned men would pause for gin-and-tonics or quinine potions, while the hapless crickets would exercise the song-producing organs on their front wings. Then the final game action would commence, the pith-helmeted men striking at the crickets with the fervor of Zoroastrian priests. The crickets would fly about the field, intent on evading the bat-wielding cricketers. All of this would happen in some tropical colony. There would be lions and tigers watching from shadowy fronds.

After the game, World War II would start. Every time.

Yours in sports history,
Eric

_________
I don’t think I can be expected to take seriously any game which takes less than three days to reach its conclusion.
-Tom Stoppard