[lit-ideas] Pagan Christianity

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:01:27 EST

Hi,
Regarding the Belief of the Month: Pagan Christianity (seeking to define
this belief/religious tradition a bit more clearly), I was looking up the word
"pagan":   From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the Christian who  delights in
bright lights, wonderous delicious food at holiday times  [particularly
thinking of the eggnog thought that was sent by Andreas--and  we don't do milk
products in our home but they DO make one made out of soy  which is quite good
and
ONLY available during this time period--but also of the  multitudes of
cookies, treats, etc.], the gift-giving aspect of holidays, the  whole aspect
of life
being a party and we all need to help each other enjoy it  as much as
possible--who wants a party where no one is there ... a tad different  from the
True
Believers who want all the people to join their faith by fair  means or foul
because of other reasons...a Pagan Christian thus even  delights in acts of
charity--partly because usually the acts of charity are  often done in Party
Groups themselves, but also because we want EVERYONE to be  laughing, singing
and
finding some wonder in life...[I think, here, of my friend  who drives a truck
[he's 5' 2" so makes lots of jokes about it, too] while  others drop off food
for the homeless in the KC area--he does this every other  month on the
weekends...and describes it as a party as all the volunteers have  fun doing
it...]

Musing on Pagan Christianity,
Marlena in Missouri
(CEO of Belief of the Month Club - a Work in Progress <g>)
From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

pagan:  One who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual
pleasures and material goods: an irreligious or hedonistic person

From the Compact Oxford English Dictionary:

pagan
â?¢ noun a person holding religious beliefs other than those  of the main world
religions.
â?¢ adjective relating to pagans or their beliefs.
â?? DERIVATIVES paganism noun.
â?? ORIGIN Latin paganus â??rusticâ??, later â??civilianâ?? (i.e. a  person who
was
not a â??soldierâ?? in Christâ??s army).