[lit-ideas] One Plus One Equals Four Times One-Half

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:45:09 -0400

For anyone with a contrarian taste, there's a columnist offering good news about Iraq.

The complete article is here: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/crawford200603270552.asp

It's very very long, intent as the author is on filling out every important sign of progress, from news like this:

Colonel John Tully is the officer in charge of security for three Iraqi provinces south of Baghdad. He recently told Voice of America that Iraqi forces will soon be capable enough that the U.S. can begin to drawn down the number of troops in the region:

"I'd say by the time I'm ready to go back to Texas at the end of the year that the Iraqi Army is going to have the lead for any kind of counter-insurgency operations in the three provinces that I'm in, and I'll be in a support role for them. Clearly, as the Iraqi Army takes over the lead for any kind of counter-insurgency operations I won't need a complete battalion to work in an area. What I need is just a smaller team. So without a doubt it translates into less troops on the ground, less U.S. troops," he said.

to news like this:

There are now more than 241,000 trained and equipped Iraqi security forces.

Iraqis now control a considerable amount of battle space in Iraq:

Two divisions, 13 brigades and 49 battalions of the Iraqi army and two brigades and six battalions of the national police are responsible for their own battlespace, Dempsey said. By July, Iraqi security forces will be responsible for security along all 3,631 kilometers of Iraq's borders, he added.

to news like this:

Iraq's economy is improving: Iraq's economy is showing signs of recovery after 30 years of dictatorship. In 2005, the Iraqi economy grew an estimated 2.6 percent in real terms, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has estimated it will grow by more than 10 percent in 2006.

to news like this:

Prior to the invasion, Baghdad had access to 24 hours of electricity; however, it came at the expense of the rest of the country. Today, Iraqis all over the country have, on average, 13 hours of electricity a day, and 1,492 megawatts of capacity has been added to the country's electrical grid. Iraq's electrical generation is now higher than pre-war levels

to news like this:

Ninety-eight percent of Iraqi children under five have been vaccinated for polio, and Malaria cases have dropped from 1,043 to 86.

to news like this:

Since March 2003, more than 11,600 construction projects have been started. More than 9,340 projects, valued at $9.3 billion, have been completed.