[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:35:09 -0700

"Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

In case any pacifists are treating this discussion train seriously, they
should understand that Fukuyama and Barnett both advocate processes that
would result in world peace.

No, Fukuyama doesn't say that. Lawrence, you challenged me to read his book and I did. And I found that what you say about Fukuyama is misleading.

Fukuyama deplores the trend of liberal democracy: it leads to pacifists and legalists, where everyone is equal. That condition produces men who won't fight. Democracy is a form of Christian slave ethic. Instead, eternal war is necessary to produce aristocrats in every generation who lead and, yes, kill. That produces noble spirits.

If anyone is interested, read the book. It's fascinating. Fukuyama is brilliant and an excellent writer. Okay, and crazy too.

Lawrence is taking a stand on both sides: he applauds Fukuyama for processes that will result in world peace, and he rejects anyone who talks about world peace. We know where he really stands.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com