[lit-ideas] Re: On a Roll

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:42:01 EDT

<<Ouch!  You've been so quiet about this. In an earlier post, you mentioned
being in an  accident, but gave no indication it was so bad.>>
For the first  few days after I got out of the hospital I was flat on my
back, drugged to the  gills with morphine & percoset.  Sitting for any period
of
time was a  very gradual effort.  Please, note to everyone, avoid breaking ribs
at all  costs.  It's the worst pain I've ever had, right up there with child
labour  sans anaesthetic.  Neck brace in 103 heat, the whole nine yards.  And
the pain meds don't lead to lucidity so I kinda avoided the e-mail stuff.
<<Your description reminded me of the "blind accident" in  John Gardner's
_Nickel Mountain_. Up over a hill and  surprise...!>>

I haven't read it .....I may give it a while before I do  <g>.  I still am
cringing when (not being permitted by docs to drive  yet) the driver I'm riding
with approaches a vehicle with something that feels  too rapid a speed to me.

<<My only direct experience of a car wreck  is a slow-motion sideways slide
down an icy mountain in a blizzard. Plenty of  time to prepare as the vehicle
slowly spun its way downhill to ram into parked  cars in the town at the bottom
of the mountain. Nothing so sudden and terribly  shocking. Or at such high
speeds!>>
Time to be afraid!  How many Our Fathers can you get  in on such a slide?
Sounds awful.  Did you manage to escape  unscathed?  People will drive on
ice.....  Jim wants to know if at  some point you were tempted to leap from the
car
before the actual  impact.

<<I hope you and your daughter recover well.   >>
Thank you......I'm half way back to normal and although  she's still picking
the occasional tiny shards of glass from her knees, 13 is  resilient and by
now (a mere 3 weeks) it's becoming a cool story to tell her  friends.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] On a Roll  Date:
7/26/05 11:49:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julie wrote, "Three weeks ago I had a bad car  wreck."

Ouch! You've been so quiet about this. In an earlier post, you  mentioned
being in an accident, but gave no indication it was so bad. Your  description
reminded me of the "blind accident" in John Gardner's _Nickel  Mountain_. Up
over
a hill and surprise...!

My only direct experience of a  car wreck is a slow-motion sideways slide
down an icy mountain in a blizzard.  Plenty of time to prepare as the vehicle
slowly spun its way downhill to ram  into parked cars in the town at the bottom
of the mountain. Nothing so sudden  and terribly shocking. Or at such high
speeds!

I hope you and your  daughter recover well.

Eric