[lit-ideas] Re: Odom on Iran, Iraq and defeat

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:59:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

during the lead up to the Iraq War, it took guts to oppose
>it.

I think you have it backwards.  Supporting an offensive war takes guts, not
brains.  An offensive war is an emotional, visceral act.  In this case it was
100% visceral to the extent that not even planning went into it.  Then for four
years the guts continued, no analysis, no assessment, no dispassionate checking
on progress, no brain at all.  And it continues still.  If (when) this surges
fails, what's left for us?  Why didn't we regoup when we had time; pull out,
form a world coalition, go back in and clean it up (Odom)?  Instead, the
coalition they're forming now is for the Iran adventure: the U.S., Israel,
Sunni states such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt on one side, and Iran on the other,
by default since we squeezed them into that position.  Once again, the U.S.
knows in their guts this is the right thing to do.  Emotions rule, the brain
kicks in when the emotions are spent, in time only to survey the damage...