[lit-ideas] Re: Odom on Iran, Iraq and defeat

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:35:11 -0500

>>So, please either explain why you won't enlist or stop talking nonsense.

Oh wow, bullying people one bullies by claims they are bullying others. There was nothing bullying about Brian's posts -- unless the cognitive dissonance of considering other viewpoints is bullying. If that's bullying, then the liberal impulse (considering a wide variety of viewpoints) is just a desire to confirm one's own opinion, no matter how haywire it is.

At this point, people who support the surge -- and I support the surge, so far as giving it a 6-month test -- are being bullied by quasifascist knowitalls. It takes guts to consider a belief that's held by only 30 percent of the population, and Brian is putting his money where his mouth is when he questions Field Marshall Murtha's doctrine.

Similarly, during the lead up to the Iraq War, it took guts to oppose it. Andreas had guts then, now but he seems unwilling to grant the same contrarian status to others.

I respect David Petraeus, and if he says it's lost, I'll believe that. Some prefer Field Marshall Murtha. That's their choice.