[lit-ideas] Re: Numbers

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:59:14 -0600

AT wrote:

. . . . A child who learns about numbers learns that seeing 4 marbles, 4 gummi bears, 4 sticks (put close together), signifies something similar. It is the idea of "4"--something present neither in sticks, gummi bears or marbles, yet something exemplified and made present by the instantiantion, in front of the child's eyes, of 4 things arranged close together. Initially the idea of number is the idea of 4 objects, recalled at will. The objects themselves recede from importance and later only the idea remains. But what actually remains? Whatever remains is perhaps what a number is.

We typically don't say the same thing about four BLUE objects; we don't say that "blue" is not present "in" the marbles. So why is "4" not present in the marbles? We see they are blue; we see that there are 4 of them. Or is "blue" like "4," not in the world but only an abstraction in the mind?

The only thing that remains residually after all objects disappear is something that we can describe as: "the memory of 4 objects" or better even, "the memory of 4 presences". Finally, "presence" itself, recalled. This recalling of "presence" is indeed a mental state, but it would have been impossible without an original actual presence. And so, numbers, as mental states, do retain a vestigial link to the objective world of objects, and presence, and would be impossible to conceptualize without a memory of the world. The world is necessary for numbers to exist, but only vestigially, in memory. To recall a number is to remember presence, and the number is the memory of presence itself, details forgotten or erased.

That, I think, is what a number is--a kind of memory, and so, a kind of abstract link to the world. And so, only a living person could understand what a number is, for it is something "inside". I don't know if this explains anything. I need to stop, and confess further ignorance. This discussion has brought me very close to Husserl's 'Origin of Geometry' and Derrida's preface to it, to which I further defer...

Thanks for engaging,  Robert--

Alex Trifan/ Boston

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx